[CvGmt News] seminario Lancia 21/1

Daniele Castorina castorin at mat.uniroma2.it
Thu Jan 16 16:35:44 CET 2014

Cari colleghi,

vi segnalo il prossimo seminario di ED a Tor Vergata, ricordandovi la
pagina web del seminario stesso all' indirizzo
http://www.mat.uniroma2.it/~castorin/Seminario-PDE.html :

    Martedi' 21 Gennaio 2014, h 14:15, Aula Dal Passo

    Carlo Lancia (Universita' di Roma "Tor Vergata")

    "Power series approximation of the EDA/D/1 system"

    Consider the arrival process defined by $t_i = i + \xi_i$, where
    $\xi_i$ are i.i.d random variables. First introduced in the 50's,
    this point process is of remarkable importance in transportation
    systems, where scheduled arrivals are intrinsically subject to
    random variations; the model has also proved capable of delivering a
    good description of actual job arrivals in health care and crane
    handling systems. In this talk I will consider a queueing model
    where the customers arrival time are defined as above, and the
    service is delivered by a unique server at deterministic times. Such
    a queueing model shows an excellent fit with actual data from the
    London Heathrow International Airport. In the case where the delays
    $\xi_i$ are exponentially distributed, the queueing model above is
    represented by the code EDA/D/1 in the Kendall's notation. I will
    describe the EDA/D/1 model as a bivariate Markov chain and obtain a
    functional equation for the bivariate generating function of the
    chain stationary distribution. Solving that functional equation for
    the bivariate generating function is a very tough problem. A
    possible strategy to solve this problem is to consider a power
    series approximation in a parameter related to the standard
    deviation of the delays. I will first show the solution arising from
    the power series approximation, and then discuss its pros and cons.

--
Daniele Castorina
Dipartimento di Matematica - Studio 1221
email: castorin at mat.uniroma2.it
tel: +390672594653