[CvGmt News] GFO-Pisa Seminars - Friday 22 May 2009 - Change Scheduling

Carlo Mantegazza c.mantegazza at sns.it
Fri May 22 14:07:03 CEST 2009

The Seminar of today, by Roberta Alessandroni
has been anticipated at 15.00 always in Aula Dini, Palazzo del
Castelletto, Scuola Normale Superiore

Roberta Alessandroni - Dipartimento di Matematica, Universita' di Roma
Convexity estimates for a nonhomogeneous mean curvature flow

  Abstract: We consider the flow of a closed immersed hypersurface with speed
  given by a function of the mean curvature asymptotic to H/log H for large H.
  For a nonconvex initial surface the formation of singularities is well
  behaved under this flow. We prove that if a surface has positive mean
  curvature at the initial time it becomes asymptotically convex near a
  singularity. The technique is similar to the one used for the mean curvature
  flow, but in this case the proof is easier and is based only on the maximum
  principle.