[CvGmt News] GFO-Pisa Seminars - Friday 22 May 2009

Carlo Mantegazza c.mantegazza at sns.it
Tue May 19 19:10:46 CEST 2009

Friday 22 May 2009, h. 18.00 - Aula Dini, Palazzo del Castelletto,
Scuola Normale Superiore

Roberta Alessandroni - Dipartimento di Matematica, Universita' di Roma

Convexity estimates for a nonhomogeneous mean curvature flow

Abstract: We consider the flow of a closed immersed hypersurface with
speed given by a function of the mean curvature asymptotic to H/log H for
large H. For a nonconvex initial surface the formation of singularities is
well behaved under this flow. We prove that if a surface has positive mean
curvature at the initial time it becomes asymptotically convex near a
singularity. The technique is similar to the one used for the mean
curvature flow, but in this case the proof is easier and is based only on
the maximum principle.