[CvGmt News] GFO-Pisa Seminars - Week 15-19 June 2009

Carlo Mantegazza c.mantegazza at sns.it
Tue Jun 16 12:57:31 CEST 2009

Talk of Richard Bamler, Tuesday 16/6/2009 at 15:00 in
Aula Mancini, Palazzo Carovana, Scuola Normale Superiore

Talk of Stephen Kleene, Thursday 18/6/2009 at 15.00 in
Aula Dini, Palazzo del Castelletto, Scuola Normale Superiore

Talk of Stephen Taylor, Friday 19/6/2009 at 15.00 in
Aula Dini, Palazzo del Castelletto, Scuola Normale Superiore

16 June 2009 - Richard Bamler
Princeton University

Dehn filling in dimension 3 and higher

I present a method of constructing Einstein metrics of negative
curvature in dimension greater than 2 by a process which is similar to
Thurston's Dehn filling. In dimension 3 this will yield an analytic
proof of the Dehn filling result.
The method was mainly developed by Michael Anderson, however I will
give an alternative argument that makes the case of so called
unbalanced fillings clearer.

18 June 2009 - Stephen Kleene
Department of Mathematics, Johns Hopkins University

Self-similar solutions for mean curvature flow

Self-similar solutions are a type of special solution for MCF
intimately connected with the regularity theory for MCF. An
example can be found in a sufficiently "pinched" dumbbell, where
solutions that are rescaled according to their maximum curvature
converge to a cylinder.
I will discuss the class of self-similar surfaces of revolution in
R3 that S. Angenent constructed in his "Shrinking Doughnuts
Paper". Time permitting, I will discuss H. Anciaux's result that
any self-shrinker that is foliated by circles must be one of
Angenent's surfaces.

19 June 2009 - Stephen Taylor
Department of Mathematics, SUNY at Stony Brook, NY

Introduction to the Einstein flow

The Einstein flow will be constructed and some of its properties
will be surveyed. It time permits, we will discuss applications of
the Einstein flow to 3-manifold geometrization.