[CvGmt News] Seminari del Gioved\`i

alberti at mail.dm.unipi.it alberti at mail.dm.unipi.it
Sat Apr 24 19:44:28 CEST 2004

Topology and geometry of nontrivial rank-one convex hulls
   Seminari di calcolo delle variazioni

   when: Thursday, May 6, at 2.30 and 4 pm

   where: Centro De Giorgi

   who: Johannes Zimmer (MPI Leipzig)

   title: Topology and geometry of nontrivial rank-one convex hulls

   abstract:  Nonconvex  hulls are an important notion in the calculus of
   variations.  In  this  talk,  we  will focus on rank-one convex hulls.
   Specifically,  recent  results  on so-called T_k-configurations as the
   most  prominent  case  of  nontrivial  rank-one  convex  hulls will be
   reported.  We will mainly focus on the most interesting case of 2 by 2
   matrices  (and explain why this is the most interesting case). We show
   that  T_4-configurations are not as exotic objects as one would expect
   at  a  first  glance,  and  give  a geometric description as well as a
   characterization  of  their  topological  structure  in  the spaces of
   quadruples  of  2  by  2  matrices.  Algorithms  for  their  efficient
   detection   will   also   be   presented.  This  is  joint  work  with
   Carl-Friedrich Kreiner, MPI Leipzig.

   posted by Giovanni Alberti

Reference: http://www.dm.unipi.it/~alberti/altrepagine/SeminarioCVGMT/index.html

You find this news in the cvgmt preprint server: http://cvgmt.sns.it/news/20040506a/