[CvGmt News] Phd positions at IST Austria - starting in September 2019

Lorenzo PORTINALE lorenzo.portinale at ist.ac.at
Wed Nov 21 16:11:09 CET 2018

Dear Colleague,

The Institute of Science and Technology Austria (IST Austria) is looking for highly qualified candidates to apply for our ISTScholar PhD program. We offer fully-funded PhD positions in the natural and mathematical sciences in a world-class research environment on the outskirts of Vienna. The research topics that might interest students in your department include:

Mathematics<https://phd.pages.ist.ac.at/mathematics/>

- Barton<http://ist.ac.at/research/research-groups/barton-group/>                 Mathematical Models of Evolution

- Browning<https://ist.ac.at/research/research-groups/browning-group/>             Analytic Number Theory and its Interfaces

- Edelsbrunner<http://ist.ac.at/research/research-groups/edelsbrunner-group/>     Algorithms, Computational Geometry and Topology

- Erdős<http://ist.ac.at/research/research-groups/erdoes-group/>                   Mathematics of Disordered Quantum Systems and Matrices

- Fischer<http://ist.ac.at/research/research-groups/fischer-group/>                 Theory of Partial Differential Equations, Applied and Numerical Analysis

- Hausel<http://ist.ac.at/research/research-groups/hausel-group/>                 Geometry and its Interfaces

- Maas<http://ist.ac.at/research/research-groups/maas-group/>                    Stochastic Analysis and Optimal Transport

- Seiringer<http://ist.ac.at/research/research-groups/seiringer-group/>              Quantum Statistical Mechanics, Mathematical Physics

- Wagner<http://ist.ac.at/research/research-groups/wagner-group/>               Discrete and Computational Geometry and Topology

Our PhD program<https://phd.pages.ist.ac.at/phd-program-overview/> is characterized by innovative training with a special focus on interdisciplinarity, close mentoring by outstanding faculty<http://ist.ac.at/research/research-groups/> within small research groups, and access to first-rate facilities<http://ist.ac.at/ssus/list-of-facilities/>. Students spend the first year completing coursework and rotations before choosing a thesis group and passing the qualifying exam. Our PhD graduates have gone on to top positions in academia and industry all over the world.

Students with a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a relevant field are encouraged to apply. We offer internationally competitive salaries co-funded by an EU Marie Sklodowska-Curie grant, full health benefits, and subsidized on-campus housing in the first year.

For more information about the ISTScholar PhD program and application process, as well as faculty profiles, please visit our website at http://phd.ist.ac.at, or come to our Student Open Day on November 30th (register at: http://ist.ac.at/studentopenday).

The deadline for PhD applications is January 8th 2019 for a start date in September 2019.

Yours sincerely,

Nick Barton
Dean, Graduate School
Institute of Science and Technology Austria
gradschool at ist.ac.at<mailto:gradschool at ist.ac.at>

Nov 30, 2018 (Friday)
Lab Tours | Meet the Profs | Campus Tours | Internships | PhD Program | Think & Drink Talk
Register here for the Student Open Day: http://ist.ac.at/studentopenday
Download our 2019 PhD open call flyers here: https://phd.pages.ist.ac.at/downloads/