[CvGmt News] Colloquium Walter Craig - 12th September (Dip. Matematica Tor Vergata)

Alfonso Sorrentino sorrentino at mat.uniroma2.it
Thu Sep 1 17:32:41 CEST 2016

COLLOQUIUM DI DIPARTIMENTO

12 SETTEMBRE 2016 - ORE 15.00
(Seguira' un piccolo rinfresco.)

AULA DAL PASSO - DIPARTIMENTO DI MATEMATICA - UNIVERSITA' DI ROMA "TOR
VERGATA"

Speaker: Prof. Walter Craig (McMaster University)

Title: Vortex Filament Dynamics

Abstract
The evolution of vortex filaments in three dimensions is an important
problem in mathematical hydrodynamics. It appears in questions on
solutions of the Euler equations as well as in the fine structure of
vortex filamentation in a superfluid. It is also a setting in the analysis
of partial differential equations with a compelling analogy to
Hamiltonian dynamical systems. I will give an analysis of a system of
model equations for the dynamics of near-parallel vortex filaments in the
Euler flow of a three dimensional fluid.  These equations can be formulated
as a Hamiltonian system of partial differential equations. My talk
will describe some aspects of a phase space analysis of solutions,
including the construction of periodic and quasi-periodic orbits via a
version of KAM theory for PDEs, and a topological principle to count
multiplicity of solutions. This is ongoing joint work with L. Corsi (Georgia
Tech), C. Garcia (UNAM), C.-R. Yang (McMaster and Shantou University)

Viale della Ricerca Scientifica 1
00133 Rome (Italy)

Phone: +39 06 72594663
Fax:      +39 06 72594699