[CvGmt News] Fwd: avviso Colloqui della Classe di Scienze, prof. Jean-Michel Morel (20.04.2016) - reminder

Valeria Giuliani valeria.giuliani at sns.it
Tue Apr 12 12:04:40 CEST 2016

E-mail: valeria.giuliani at sns.it
E-mail: classi at sns.it

From: Valeria Giuliani <valeria.giuliani at sns.it>
Date: 2016-04-08 9:05 GMT+02:00
Subject: avviso Colloqui della Classe di Scienze, prof. Jean-Michel Morel
To: professori.sci at sns.it, "professori.contratto.sci" <
Cc: Classi <classi at sns.it>, Sito SNS <sitosns at sns.it>, Portineria Carovana <
portineria.carovana at sns.it>

*Colloqui della Classe di Scienze*

Mercoledì 20 Aprile 2016
ore 15:00

*Scuola Normale Superiore*

Pisa

(Sala Azzurra)

*Prof. Jean-Michel Morel*

*(**École Normale Supérieure de Cachan)*

Terrà un seminario dal titolo:

*What is a texture?*

*Abstract:*

*In this conference illustrated by many images, I wish to present the
mathematical, psychophysical, artistic and computer graphics challenges
raised by the concept of (visual) “texture”. In psychophysics the question
simply is: what makes us discriminate two textures, or instead consider
them undiscriminable (Bela Julesz). In computer graphics, the problem is :
how to synthesize new, larger texture samples (of say, wood, stone, etc.)
from examples? In abstract art the question is simply how to invent new
sorts of images. And in mathematics, we might see this as a more
specialized instance of the famous question raised by Frege : Was ist eine
Funktion? and some aspects of geometric measure theory. Each of these
questions is fascinating and can occupy a life. Yet these questions
interact of late, and I’ll base my exposition on new and striking recent
theories and experiments.*

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.

Classe di Scienze Matematiche e Naturali

Valeria Giuliani
Scuola Normale Superiore
Servizio alla Didattica e Allievi
tel. 050 509260