[CvGmt News] avviso seminario di Matematica dr. Ben Sharp (05.11.2015)

Valeria Giuliani valeria.giuliani at sns.it
Tue Nov 3 11:25:40 CET 2015

SEMINARIO DI MATEMATICA

Giovedì 5 novembre 2015

ore 11:00

*Scuola Normale Superiore*

Pisa

Aula Tonelli

 *Ben Sharp *

*Centro De Giorgi, SNS*

Terrà un seminario dal titolo:

*“Quantitative and qualitative control of minimal hypersurfaces with
bounded index and area”*

*Abstract:*

*Due to the work of Almgren-Pitts (and Schoen-Simon) we know that there
exists at least one closed minimal embedded hypersurface in any closed
Riemannian manifold; moreover a conjecture of Yau suggests that there
should be infinitely many. This has been confirmed recently by the work of
Marques-Neves in the case that the ambient manifold has positive Ricci
curvature. There are therefore many open problems concerned with
understanding the space of minimal hypersurfaces in a Riemannian manifold.*
* In this talk we will discuss some compactness theorems for minimal
hypersurfaces with bounded index and area; in particular we prove that the
total curvature is quantised by the limit hypersurface and finitely many
properly embedded minimal hypersurfaces in Euclidean space. Easy
corollaries of this result lead to qualitative estimates on topology and
total curvature for minimal hypersurfaces with bounded index and area. Most
of the work we present is joint with Reto Müller.*

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.

Classe di Scienze Matematiche e Naturali
Valeria Giuliani
Scuola Normale Superiore
Servizio alla Didattica e Allievi
tel. 050 509260