[CvGmt News] avviso seminario di Matematica prof. Alessandro Carlotto (13.02.2015)

Valeria Giuliani valeria.giuliani at sns.it
Wed Jan 28 11:35:38 CET 2015

SEMINARIO DI MATEMATICA

Venerdì 13 febbraio 2015

ore 14:30

*Scuola Normale Superiore*

Pisa

Aula Bianchi

*Alessandro Carlotto*

*Imperial College, London*

Terrà un seminario dal titolo:

*“ Localizing solutions of the Einstein constraint equations ”*

*Abstract:*

*A well-known corollary of the positive mass theorem by Schoen-Yau is that
if an asymptotically flat manifold (of non-negative scalar curvature) is
exactly flat outside of a compact set, then it has to be globally flat: in
other terms any such metric can never be localized inside a compact set. So
what is the "optimal" localization of those metrics? For instance, can one
produce scalar non-negative metrics that have positive ADM mass and still
are trivial in a half-space? *

*In recent joint work with Schoen, we answer these questions by giving a
systematic method for constructing solutions to the Einstein constraint
equations that are localized inside a cone of arbitrarily small aperture.
This sharply contrasts with various recent scalar curvature rigidity
phenomena both in the closed and in the free-boundary setting. Moreover,
the gluing scheme that we adopt allows to produce a new class of exotic
N-body solutions for the Einstein equation, which patently exhibit the
phenomenon of gravitational shielding: for any large T we can engineer
solutions where any two massive bodies do not interact at all for any time
t\in(0,T), in striking contrast with the Newtonian gravity scenario.*

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.

Classe di Scienze Matematiche e Naturali

Valeria Giuliani
Scuola Normale Superiore
Servizio alla Didattica e Allievi
tel. 050 509260