[CvGmt News] [Fwd: Re: Post-Doc Proposal at MOKAPLAN (INRIA-PARIS DAUPHINE)]

buttazzo at dm.unipi.it buttazzo at dm.unipi.it
Fri Mar 22 19:28:09 CET 2013

-------------------------- Messaggio originale ---------------------------
Oggetto: Re: Post-Doc Proposal at MOKAPLAN (INRIA-PARIS DAUPHINE)
Da:      "jdfree" <jdbenamou at free.fr>
Data:    Ven, 22 Marzo 2013 17:26

Dear Colleagues
Sorry with the accidental inclusion of Pr. Zuazua email in the message below.
Interested students should of course contact me ...
Best Regards
JD Benamou

On Mar 22, 2013, at 4:32 PM, jdb wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> please find below a proposal for a one-year postdoctoral position in
Paris for the next academic year.
> Do not hesitate to circulate.
> Thank you and best regards,
> Jean-David Benamou and Guillaume Carlier
> zuazua at bcamath.org
>
> This is a proposal for a one year Post-Doctoral position at
INRIA-Paris/Rocquencourt in the MOKAPLAN team and
> under the supervision of G. Carlier and J.-D. Benamou.
>
> The starting date is flexible. May be as early as sept. 2013.  Net
Salary is  2137euros per month.

> The post-Doc is funded by the  French ANR  ISOTACE consortium which also
 involves U. Orsay (B. Maury, F. Santambroggio)
>  U. Paris 7 (Y. Achdou), Ecole Polytechnique (N. Touzi, Y. Brenier) and
2 small companies.

> Scientific description :
>
> The post doc  objective is to design and implement robust and efficient
> numerical methods for a large class of  variational problems
> including the Gradient Flow formulation of Non linear diffusion PDEs
(Granular Flows
> Keller Segel equation ...), new modelizations of Economic problems
(Cournot-Nash Principal-Agent, Urban design ...).

> These problems optimize a density which is mapped or matched to some
compatible data.
> The density displacement   arises from the gradient of a potential
> constrained to be convex. The convexity constraint  makes the connection
with optimal transportation theory.

> The discretization and implementation of the convexity constraint is a
challenging problem
> wich has recently received some attention (Ekeland-Moreno
Carlier-Maury-Lachand Robert  Oberman ... )
> The candidate will first study/implement/compare existing methods. We
will then
> try to select or invent  the most efficient approach for our target
problem.

> The central task is to address numerically the problem of minimizing a
> displacement convex functional  (in the sense of McCann)  with a
> L2-Wasserstein penalization term.  Taking advantage of the properties of
the variational problems
>  in the space of displacement, the candidate will study/implement
> gradient descent methods where the optimization variable is
> the convexity constrained displacement potential or gradient.
>
> This position is strongly research oriented with plenty of opportunities
> to explore connected problems.  The candidate will preferably have
> a previous experience on optimal transportation or infinite dimensional
> optimization.  Scientific programming experience is necessary.
>

> Bibliography
>
> - P. Chon� and Rochet J.-C. Ironing, sweeping and multidimensional
screening. Econometrica, 1998.
> - G. Carlier, T. Lachand-Robert: Regularity of solutions for some
variational problems subject to a convexity constraint, Comm. Pure Appl.
Math. 54 (2001) 583�594.
> - Carlier, G.; Lachand-Robert, T.; Maury, B. A numerical approach to
variational problems subject to convexity constraint. Numer. Math. 88
(2001), no. 2, 299�318.
> - Ekeland, Ivar; Moreno-Bromberg, Santiago An algorithm for computing
solutions of variational problems with global convexity constraints.
Numer. Math. 115 (2010), no. 1, 45�69.
convexity constraints  http://arxiv.org/abs/1107.5290v3
http://www.ceremade.dauphine.fr/~carlier/blanchetcarlierfinal.pdf  .
> - Aguilera, N�stor E.; Morin, Pedro On convex functions and the finite
element method. SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 47 (2009), no. 4, 3139�3157.
> - Aguilera, N�stor E.; Morin, Pedro Approximating optimization
problems over convex functions. Numer. Math. 111 (2008), no. 1, 1�34.
> - Jordan, Richard; Kinderlehrer, David; Otto, Felix The variational
formulation of the Fokker-Planck equation. SIAM J. Math. Anal. 29
(1998), no. 1, 1�17.
> - Kinderlehrer, David; Walkington, Noel J. Approximation of parabolic
equations using the Wasserstein metric. M2AN Math. Model. Numer. Anal.
33 (1999), no. 4, 837�852.
> - J. A. Carrillo, J. S. Moll, Numerical simulation of diffusive and
aggregation phenomena in nonlinear continuity equations by evolving
diffeomorphisms, SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 31, 4305-4329, 2009.
> - A. Blanchet, E. A. Carlen, J. A. Carrillo, Functional inequalities,
thick tails and asymptotics for the critical mass Patlak-Keller-Segel
model, J. Func. Anal. 262, 2142-2230, 2012.