[CvGmt News] Colloqui della Classe di Scienze prof. Giovanni Jona-Lasinio (21.11.2012)

Valeria Giuliani valeria.giuliani at sns.it
Mon Nov 12 12:39:14 CET 2012

Colloqui Classe di Scienze

ore 15.00

_Scuola Normale Superiore_

Pisa

(Sala Azzurra)

*__*

*Giovanni JONA-LASINIO
*/Università di Roma "La Sapienza"/*//*

//

Terrà un seminario dal titolo:

*/"/**Chiral molecules revisited/"/*

*//*

*/Abstract:/*

/According to Hund (1927) quantum mechanics forbids the existence of
stable optically active (chiral) molecules as they violate the
invariance under parity of the Hamiltonian. This paradox has attracted
much attention ever since and there is not yet a universally accepted
explanation. I will contend that spontaneous symmetry breaking provides
a qualitative and quantitative explanation. A second paradox concerning
chiral molecules is the predominance of left handed molecules in living
matter. This reminds of  the predominance of matter over antimatter in
the universe. I shall briefly discuss how spontaneous symmetry breaking
in non equilibrium may offer a clue./*//*

*//*

*//*

*//*

Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare

Classe di Scienze

--
Valeria Giuliani
Scuola Normale Superiore