[CvGmt News] Seminari al Dipartimento di Matematica Applicata, Pisa

Luigi AMBROSIO l.ambrosio at sns.it
Fri Jan 20 16:56:32 CET 2012

Nella settimana dal 30 gennaio al 3 febbraio il Prof. Jose'
Rodrigo (Univ. Warwick, UK) sara' ospite presso il
Dipartimento di Matematica Applicata e  terra' i seguenti
seminari:

Martedi' 31 gennaio, ore 17, Dipartimento di Matematica
Applicata, Sala delle Riunioni.

Title: Evolution of fronts for the surface quesi-geostrophic
equations

Abstract: In this talk I will describe recent work with
Charles Fefferman on the construction of almost-sharp fronts
solutions for the surface quasi-geostrophic equation.  These
are solutions with arbitrarily large gradient and simple
geometry whose time of existence is independent of their
gradient.
The motivation for constructing this objects is that they are
they analogue of (arbitrarily thin) vortex tubes for 3D Euler,
with the understanding of an isolating vortex line as a final
goal.

Giovedi' 2 febbraio, ore 17, Dipartimento di Matematica
Applicata, Sala delle Riunioni.

Title: Singularities for parabolic equations with mass
conservation and fractional diffusion

Abstract: I'll describe recent work with Dong Li on an
approach  to prove the existence of singularities for the case
of supercritical dissipation. In particular I will explain the
applications to some equations arising from aggregation,
chemotaxis and fluid mechanics.