[CvGmt News] [Fwd: [Docenti] [Fwd: Opening for Assistant Professor at PUC-Rio de Janeiro]]

buttazzo at dm.unipi.it buttazzo at dm.unipi.it
Fri Jan 21 09:41:39 CET 2011

---------------------------
> Oggetto: Opening for Assistant Professor at PUC-Rio de Janeiro
> Da:      "Flavio Abdenur" <flavio.abdenur at gmail.com>
> Data:    Mar, 18 Gennaio 2011 6:02 pm
> A:       info at dm.unipi.it
>
> Dear Sirs,
>
> We are announcing a tenure-track opening for Assistant Professor at the
Mathematics Department of the Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro
(PUC-Rio).

> We kindly request your assistance in announcing this opening to
> mathematicians who may be interested in this position.
>
> We are a research-oriented department seeking a pure or applied
> mathematician with a solid track-record of international-level research.
>
> The deadline for candidacy submission is 15 April 2011.
>
> Please find the full text of the announcement below this email, and also
attached as a pdf file.

> best regards,
>
> Flavio Abdenur
> Assistant Professor PUC-Rio

> OPENING FOR AN ASSISTANT PROFESSORSHIP
>
> * *
>
> *MATHEMATICS DEPARTMENT*
>
> *PUC-RIO (Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro)*
>
> * *
>
> The Mathematics Department of PUC-Rio has an opening for an Assistant
Professorship starting in August of 2011. This is a tenure-track
contract,
> initially lasting one year but renewable (see “Hiring procedures”
below).

> The candidate is expected to have a consistent record of high-level
research
> and also to be qualified for undergraduate and graduate teaching.
Professors
> of the Department typically teach 7 to 8 hours per week during the
academic
> semesters (March to June and August to November) in two courses, ranging
from basic undergraduate (e.g., calculus and linear algebra) courses to
advanced graduate seminars. Professors are usually assisted by graders
and
> teaching assistants. After the first year professors are also expected
> participate in the Department’s administrative affairs (committees,
student
> advising, event organizations, etc).
>

> PUC-Rio offers a stimulating research-oriented environment with plenty
of
> academic freedom and excellent working conditions, such as a pleasant,
well-located, and safe campus; administrative flexibility; research
fellowships funded by the university as well as by the Brazilian
government;
> and a Bachelors program that historically attracts excellent students.
>

> Requirements for candidates
>
> a) A PhD or equivalent degree in Mathematics (researchers with degrees
from
> related fields might eventually also be considered);
>
> b) Aptitude for teaching graduate and undergraduate mathematics courses;
>
> c) Aptitude for advising graduate students; and
>
> d) A solid record of producing international-level research.
>

> Language Skills
>
> Knowledge of Portuguese is highly desirable as courses are usually
taught in
> Portuguese; in the absence of that, knowledge of a similar Romance
language
> (e.g., Spanish, French, or Italian) is a plus. A successful candidate
who is
> not ready to teach in Portuguese by August 2011 will be given an
English-language courseload during the August-November 2011 semester
under
> the condition that he or she commits to learning sufficient Portuguese
by
> March 2012.
>

> *Hiring Procedures*
>
> The chosen researcher will be selected by the University Career
Committee
> and is expected to start lecturing as an Assistant Professor in August
2011.
> (Exceptional or more experienced candidates might be offered a more
senior
> position.) University regulations require an evaluation period of at
most
> three years, after which a successful candidate will be offered a
permanent
> contract. The University offers fringe benefits such as holiday bonuses,
> 13th yearly salary, and subsidized health and retirement plans. The
current
> starting monthly salary of an Assistant Professor (level I) is
approximately
> U$4000 (note that living expenses and income tax rates in Brazil are
substantially lower than in the US and Western Europe).