[CvGmt News] Seminari di Calcolo delle Variazioni e Analisi Geometrica

magnani at dm.unipi.it magnani at dm.unipi.it
Thu Feb 10 23:59:47 CET 2011

Quasi-static evolution end contact angle hysteresis in capillarity
Speaker: Giovanni Alberti
Seminari di Calcolo delle Variazioni e Analisi Geometrica

  Dipartimento di Matematica - Sala Seminari - ore 17:00

   ABSTRACT: In the first part of this talk, I will recall the notion of
   quasi-static evolution (or rate-independent dissipative process)
   focusing on the simple model of a point mass subject to dry (or
   contact), and then describe the standard approach to existence results
   by time-discretization. In the second part, I will show how the
   hysteresis of contact angle of a capillary drop sitting on a solid
   surface can be modelled by introducing a simple frictional force on the
   contact line. If time permits, I will describe the existence result for
   the corresponding quasi-static evolution. This is a joint work with
   Antonio De Simone (SISSA).

You find this news in the cvgmt preprint server: http://cvgmt.sns.it/news/20110216/