[CvGmt News] Seminari di Calcolo delle Variazioni e Analisi Geometrica

magnani at dm.unipi.it magnani at dm.unipi.it
Fri Apr 22 13:27:23 CEST 2011

The Sacks-Uhlenbeck flow on Riemannian surfaces and its applications
Speaker: Min-Chun Hong (University of Queensland, Australia)
Seminari di Calcolo delle Variazioni e Analisi Geometrica

   Dipartimento di Matematica - Sala Seminari - ore 17:00

   ABSTRACT: In their well-known paper (Ann. Math. 1981), Sacks and
   Uhlenbeck proposed a family of the perturbed functional (now called the
   Sacks and Uhlenbeck functional) to establish many existence results of
   minimizers in a given homotopy class of maps. In this talk, we study an
   alpha-flow for the Sacks-Uhlenbeck functional on Riemannian surfaces
   and prove that the limiting map by the alpha-flow is a weak solution to
   the harmonic map flow. By an application of the alpha-flow, we present
   a simple proof of an energy identity of a minimizing sequence in each
   homotopy class.

You find this news in the cvgmt preprint server: http://cvgmt.sns.it/news/20110427/