[CvGmt News] [Fwd: my course]

buttazzo at dm.unipi.it buttazzo at dm.unipi.it
Sat Feb 13 19:27:19 CET 2010

-------------------------- Messaggio originale ---------------------------
Oggetto: my course
Da:      "Jeffrey Rauch" <rauch at umich.edu>
Data:    Sab, 13 Febbraio 2010 11:47 am
A:       "Luigi Ambrosio" <luigi at ambrosio.sns.it>
         "Giovanni Alberti" <galberti1 at dm.unipi.it>
         "Giuseppe Butazzo" <buttazzo at dm.unipi.it>
         "Ferruccio Colombini" <colombin at dm.unipi.it>
         "Sergio Spagnolo" <spagnolo at dm.unipi.it>
         "Nicola Visciglia" <viscigli at dm.unipi.it>
         "Fabrizio Broglia" <broglia at dm.unipi.it>
         "Antoine Lemenant" <antoine.lemenant at sns.it>
         "Vladimir Georgiev" <georgiev at dm.unipi.it>
         "Alberto Abbondandolo" <abbondandolo at dm.unipi.it>
         "Alberto Arosio" <alberto.arosio at unipr.it>
         "Stefano Bianchini" <bianchin at sissa.it>

Friends,

I have begun to think seriously about the course that I'll
be giving in Pisa starting in a month.  My goal is to give a
course accessible to students with not too much background
in analysis and at the same time interesting to people
who know quite a lot.

I will be emphasizing interconnections between
different areas, notably complex analysis, fourier analysis,
pde, geometry (via the symmetries of equations),
finite difference equtions (in particular the article of
Courant-Friedrichs-Lewy), ......

The material though elementary is essentially availalbe
nowhere.  Some support materials have already
been posted on the course web page which one
reaches by clicking Course Materials on my home
page.

I am writing this note with the hope that you will
send students of all stripes from young through
old.   I think that the course will be fun, provided
that I attract an audience.  Tell your friends and tell
them to tell their friends!

Thanks in advance,

Jeffrey