[CvGmt News] Seminari Calcolo delle Variazioni

depascal at dm.unipi.it depascal at dm.unipi.it
Sat Oct 17 16:11:25 CEST 2009

Wednesday October 21
At 17
Aula Riunioni (Dipartimento di Matematica)

Dr. Reto Muller (Scuola Normale Superiore)

Title: Ricci flow coupled with harmonic map flow

Abstract: We investigate a new geometric flow which consists of a coupled system of the Ricci flow (with some additional terms) on a closed
manifold M with the harmonic map flow of a map from this evolving manifold M to some closed target manifold N.
This system can be interpreted as the gradient flow of an energy functional which is a modification of Perelman’s energy for the Ricci flow.
Surprisingly, the coupled system may be less singular than the Ricci flow or the harmonic map flow alone. In particular, we can always rule out
energy concentration of the map a-priori – without any assumptions on the curvature of the target manifold N – if some coupling parameter is
chosen large enough. Moreover, it suffices to bound the curvature of (M,g(t)) to also obtain control on the map and all its derivatives.
Besides these new phenomena, the flow shares many good properties with the Ricci flow. In particular, we can derive the monotonicity of an
entropy functional similar to Perelman’s Ricci flow entropy and of so-called reduced volume functionals.
These monotonicity results can be used to rule out non-trivial breathers and geometric collapsing at finite times.