[CvGmt News] [Fwd: PhD opening]

buttazzo at dm.unipi.it buttazzo at dm.unipi.it
Fri Nov 27 19:10:14 CET 2009

-------------------------- Messaggio originale ---------------------------
Oggetto: PhD opening
Da:      "Paola Gori-Giorgi" <paolagorigiorgi at gmail.com>
Data:    Ven, 27 Novembre 2009 12:46 pm
A:       "Paola Gori-Giorgi" <paolagorigiorgi at gmail.com>

Dear Colleagues,

Please forgive the intrusion, but I would be grateful if you could
please pass this on to anyone who might be interested:

I am starting an interdisciplinary (Chemistry and Physics) theoretical
research group at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam (http://www.chem.vu.nl
).
There is an opening for a PhD thesis on the subject "Density
Functional Theory for strongly interacting electrons". Basically, the
thesis will contribute to develop the approach described in Phys. Rev.
Lett., 103, 166402 (2009) [see also
http://physics.aps.org/synopsis-for/10.1103/PhysRevLett.103.166402
], and will focus on applications of the method mainly to low-
dimensional electronic systems.
The candidate shall have a Master degree (or equivalent) in Physics or
Chemistry, a strong mathematical background and good computational
skills. Students with a Master (or equivalent) in applied Mathematics
can also apply.
The thesis work should start in the first semester of 2010. A standard
PhD thesis in the Netherlands lasts 4 years, but extension of one year
is possible, if needed.
A formal job search will be started shortly, but applications
including a CV and the name and contact information of (at least) one
person for recommendation can already be sent to pgorigi at few.vu.nl.

Best Regards

                                                       Paola Gori-Giorgi

Paola Gori-Giorgi
CNRS Researcher
Laboratoire de Chimie Theorique
University Pierre et Marie Curie
Case 137, 4 place Jussieu
75252 Paris Cedex 05, France
http://www.lct.jussieu.fr/pagesperso/gori/

moving to

Department of Theoretical Chemistry  (Faculty of Sciences)
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
De Boelelaan 1083
1081 HV Amsterdam
The Netherlands