[CvGmt News] Centro di Ricerca Matematica "Ennio De Giorgi"

Carlo Mantegazza c.mantegazza at sns.it
Wed Nov 11 16:10:10 CET 2009

Dear Dr.,
Dear Professor,

The Centro di Ricerca Matematica Ennio de Giorgi (CRM) is about to
celebrate its tenth anniversary. During this decade we have been
consistently providing a thriving environment fostering excellence in
mathematical research. To date we have hosted more than four thousand
visitors and organized hundreds of well-attended workshops.

Despite the exceptional success of our first ten years of activity, CRM
is now facing the consequences of the current economic hardship. We are
therefore writing to ask you to consider the possibility of supporting
us financially. CRM relies solely on funding provided by the three
Universities in Pisa. Unfortunately, our attempts to raise funds from
local institutions, both in the private and public sectors, have been so
far unsuccessful. We hope that if top-class scientists throughout the
world show their individual support to CRM, those local and national
institutions, along with private companies, might take this as further
evidence of our research excellence and reconsider the idea of funding CRM.

As a former visitor to CRM we believe that you fully appreciate our
commitment to provide a high-quality environment to promote and
facilitate advanced research in mathematics. Besides our regular
graduate courses and research seminars, we run a rich program of
research events ranging from intensive research periods to workshops and
schools. All those activities aim at being inclusive so, as a policy, we
do not charge registration or any other kind of fees to the attendees
who are mostly post-graduate students and young researchers. This is
because a substantial part of our financial resources is directed
towards supporting young scholars. We currently have eight post-docs in
residence, each on a two-year contract. We plan on using
the donations from former senior visitors to raise further funds
allowing us to offer three-year contracts to post-doctoral fellows.
There is no need to stress how significant such a measure would be for
the academic development of young scholars in the early stages of their
career.

As we believe that you enjoyed your stay here, we are confident that
you would be willing to help us keeping our service to the international
mathematics community up to the standard for which CRM is worldwide
known.

Yours faithfully,

Mariano Giaquinta, Director of CRM

*How to donate*

Credit Card  : simply fill in the Credit Card Payment Form attached and
fax it securely to us

Cheque  : Please make it payable to "Direttore Scuola Normale Superiore"
and post it to

Professor Mariano Giaquinta
Scuola Normale Superiore,
Piazza dei Cavalieri, 7