[CvGmt News] GFO-Pisa Seminars - Monday/Tuesday 11/12 May 2009

Carlo Mantegazza c.mantegazza at sns.it
Sun May 10 16:07:30 CEST 2009

Talks of 11-12/5/09, at 17.00 in Aula Dini of the Scuola Normale
Superiore, Palazzo del Castelletto, in connection with the
research trimester "Geometric Flows and Geometric Operators"
at the Centro De Giorgi in Pisa:

11 May 2009 - Paul Lee, University of Toronto

Generalized Ricci Curvature Bounds for Three Dimensional Contact
Subriemannian Manifolds

Abstract: Measure contraction property (MCP) is one of the possible
generalizations of Ricci curvature bound to more general metric measure
spaces. However, the definition of MCP is not computable in general. In
this talk, I will discuss computable sufficient conditions for a three
dimensional contact subriemannian manifold to satisfy such property.
This is a joint work with Andrei Agrachev.

12 May 2009 - Andrea Mondino, SISSA Trieste

The Willmore Functional, a Perturbative Approach

Given a surface M immersed in a Riemannian manifold (M,g) of dimension
three, the Willmore functional I is defined as I(M)=\int_M H^2 dS where H
is the mean curvature and dS the area form given by the immersion.
The critical points of I are called Willmore surfaces and the aim of the
seminar is to study the existence of such surfaces.
The topic is classical and has many applications (general relativity,
biology, elasicity theory...); after an introduction about the employed
method (it is performed a finite dimentional reduction) we will study the
functional in a perturbative setting.