[CvGmt News] GFO-Pisa - Next Events

Carlo Mantegazza c.mantegazza at sns.it
Thu Jun 18 13:35:59 CEST 2009

Workshop "Geometric Flows in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics"
22-26 June 2009, Centro Ennio De Giorgi, SNS, Pisa

Speakers will include:
M. Athanassenas, G. Bellettini, F. Costantino, D. Friedan,
D. Glickenstein, R. Gulliver, J. Hoppe, A. Magni, S. Maillot,
M. Petropoulos, M. Troyanov, E. Tsatis, V. Suneeta,
M.-T. Wang, E. Woolgar

For more information, see at cvgmt.sns.it/MPRicci-Workshop

Workshop "GFO in Pisa"
29 June - 3 July 2009, Centro Ennio De Giorgi, SNS, Pisa

Speakers will include:
R. Alessandroni, C. Baker, L. Bessieres, G. Besson, F. Bonsante,
E. Cabezas-Rivas, G. Catino, E. Hebey, T. Ilmanen*, T. Lamm,
P. LeFloch, L. Martinazzi, L. Mazzieri, R. Muller, M. Novaga,
M. Rupflin, H. Seshadri, W. Sheng, M. Simon, C. Sinestrari,
J. Streets, M. Struwe, G. Tarantello, X. Xu
*To be confirmed

For more information, see at cvgmt.sns.it/GFO-Conf

WorkGroup on Mean Curvature Flow
6 July 2009 - 17 July 2009, Centro Ennio De Giorgi, SNS, Pisa

Our aim is to organize an introductory but quite complete course on the
results and techniques in the ``classical'' approach to mean curvature
flow of hypersurfaces (the works of Ecker, Huisken, Hamilton, etc).
Possibly, we will try to cover in a self-contained way the analysis from
the small time existence theorem to the asymptotic behavior at the first
singular time.
The only preliminaries are: some familiarity with tensors and
differential geometry of hypersurfaces in R^n (second fundamental form),
maximum principle for PDE.

A list of people collaborating to the workgroup will include Roberta
Alessandroni, Charles Baker, Giovanni Bellettini, Giovanni Catino, Zindine
Djadli, Carlo Mantegazza, Annibale Magni, Lorenzo Mazzieri, Reto Mler,
Matteo Novaga.

For the timetable and related documents, see at the main page of the
trimester: cvgmt.sns.it/GFO
or at http://www.crm.sns.it/cgi-bin/pagina.pl?Id=100&Tipo=evento&TipoEvento=programs&Sezione=Planned%20activities&Periodo=present

ABSTRACT OF THE COURSE: in the morning Giovanni
Bellettini and Carlo Mantegazza will discuss the main line
toward the analysis of singularities, from the beginning to the first
singular time of MCF.
More precisely, we will present all the introductory material, smalltime
existence, comparison theorems, evolutions of geometric quantities
and consequences, etc.
Then we will discuss the monotonicity formula, blowups, Type I and II
singularities and classification.
In the afternoon there will be self-contained seminars showing
the proofs of the main theorems that are going to be used in the main line.

We list here some of these results:

- Abresch-Langer classification theorem (only embedded curves)

- Huisken's embeddedness measure for curves

- Huisken's theorem on regularity of evolution of convex hypersurfaces

- Classification of homothetic blow-up

- White's local regularity theorem

- Hamilton's Harnack estimate for MCF

- Hamilton's maximum principle for parabolic PDEs on tensors

- Convexity preserving estimates