[CvGmt News] Seminari Calcolo delle Variazioni

depascal at dm.unipi.it depascal at dm.unipi.it
Wed Dec 2 07:20:56 CET 2009

This is a memo for the talk of this afternoon

A uniqueness result for graphs of least gradient
   Our next speaker will be Dr. Lisa Beck (SNS-Pisa) Wednesday December 2
   at 17 in Aula Riunioni (Dipartimento di Matematica)

   Title: A uniqueness result for graphs of least gradient

   Abstract: The focus of this talk is on uniqueness for (generalized)
   minimizers of variational integrals of linear growth. As a model case
   we shall investigate the minimization problem of the integral

        ________
      Ö1 + |Dw|^2

                 dx

   in Dirichlet classes of (vector-valued) functions w. It is well known
   that existence of generalized minimizers can be established by
   extending this problem to the space BV of functions of bounded
   variation. We here present a uniqueness theorem for such generalized
   minimizers which was obtained in collaboration with T. Schmidt
   (Erlangen).

You find this news in the cvgmt preprint server: http://cvgmt.sns.it/news/20091127a/