[CvGmt News] Two CVGMT Seminars/17:00/25 May

Valentino Magnani magnani at dm.unipi.it
Fri May 19 20:27:19 CEST 2006

Dear All,
I am glad to announce that

. on Thursday, 25 May
. in ``Sala dei Seminari'' of the Mathematics Department

there will be Two seminars:

I) At 17:00. Michal Wojciechowski (Polish Academy of Science)
will present

"Singularity of vector valued measures in terms of Fourier transform"

II) At 18:00. Massimiliano Berti (University of Naples)
will present

"Cantor families of periodic solutions of wave equations via a variational
principle"

ABSTRACT I. We study how the singularity (in the sense of Hausdorff
dimension) of a vector valued measure can be affected by certain
restrictions imposed on its Fourier trans form. The restrictions, we are
interested in, concern the direction of the (vector) values of the Fourier
transform. The results obtained could be considered as a generalizations
of F. and M. Riesz theorem, however a phenomenon, which have no analogy in
the scalar case, arise in the vector valued case. As an example of
application, we show that every measure µ = (µ1,...,µd) Î M(Rd ,Rd)
annihilating gradients of C0(1) (Rd) embedded in the natural way into
C0(Rd ,Rd), i.e. such that åi ò¶i fdmi = 0 for f Î C0(1) (Rd), has
Hausdorff dimension at least one. We provide examples which show both
completeness and incompleteness of our results.
These results are joint with M. Roginskaya.

ABSTRACT II. For finite dimensional Hamiltonian systems, existence of
periodic solutions close to an elliptic equilibrium have been proved by
Weinstein, Moser and Fadell-Rabinowitz: by the classical Lyapunov-Schmidt
decomposition the problem splits into (i) the range equation, solved
through the standard Implicit Function Theorem, and (ii) the bifurcation
equation, solved via variational arguments. On the contrary, for infinite
dimensional Hamiltonian PDEs (i) a ``small divisors problem'' requires the
use of a Nash-Moser implicit function theorem to solve the range equation
and, as a consequence, the bifurcation equation (ii) is defined just on a
Cantor like set. We presents the first existence results of periodic
solutions for Hamiltonian PDEs solving a variational principle defined on
a Cantor set.