[CvGmt News] CVGMT seminar/11 Maggio/17:30

Valentino Magnani magnani at dm.unipi.it
Mon May 8 12:07:39 CEST 2006

Dear All,

I am pleased to announce that the next CVGMT seminar
will be held by

.  Davide Vittone, S.N.S.
.  on Thursday, 11 May
.  in ``Sala dei Seminari'' of the Mathematics Department
.  at 17:30, with

TITLE.
An intrinsic measure for submanifolds in stratified groups.

ABSTRACT.
We want to study the problem of finding the
intrinsic sub-Riemannian measure ``naturally'' associated to
a given submanifold of a stratified group.
After a brief presentation of this setting,
we will show some new results obtained in collaboration with
V. Magnani. We introduce a ``local dimension'' (the so-called degree)
for each point of a submanifold $\Sigma$ and show that the
intrinsic tangent cone of $\Sigma$ is a subgroup
at points of maximum degree. The negligibility of points
with lower degree provides the intrinsic sub-Riemannian measure
associated with $\Sigma$. We also provide the formula to compute
the Hausdorff dimension of $\Sigma$ as the maximum degree of
all points.