[CvGmt News] ADJUSTMENT:CVGMT Seminar/18:15/16 March

Valentino Magnani magnani at dm.unipi.it
Tue Mar 14 09:42:51 CET 2006

Dear All,
there is an adjustment with respect to the starting
time of the next CVGMT seminar:

.  at 18:15 of Thursday, 16 March
.  in ``Sala dei Seminari'' of the Department of Mathematics
.  Giovanni Bellettini, from Rome University, "Tor Vergata"
   will present

TITLE:
Remarks on the variational nature of heat equation
and motion by mean curvature

ABSTRACT:
We show that the classical solution of the heat equation
can be seen as the minimizer of a suitable functional defined in
space-time. Using similar ideas, we introduce a functional
$\mathcal F$ on the class of space-time tracks of moving hypersurfaces,
and we relate minimizers of $\mathcal F$ to solutions
of mean curvature flow.