[CvGmt News] CVGMT Seminar/17:30/2 March

Valentino Magnani magnani at dm.unipi.it
Fri Feb 24 15:00:21 CET 2006

Dear All,
I am glad to announce that

. on Thursday, 2 March
. in ``Sala dei Seminari'' of the Department of Mathematics

       Federica Dragoni (S.N.S.)
       will speak of      ``Metric inf-convolutions''

ABSTRACT:
We define and briefly study the Carnot-Carath\'eodory inf-convolutions.
Then we investigate the behaviour of $\epsilon \log w^\epsilon(t,x)$
as $\epsilon\rightarrow0^+$, where $w^\epsilon$ are the solutions of a
suitable family of hypoelliptic second order equations. In particular, we
show that they converge to the metric inf-convolution with respect to the
associated Carnot-Carath\`eodory distance, applying the Large Deviation
Principle. The main problem is to show the applicability of the LDP in our
hypoelliptic case. We will show that this is possible, instead of
generalizing the Varadhan's proof (covering up to the Riemannian case),
using basic properties of measure theory.