[CvGmt News] Seminario di Valentino Magnani

alberti at mail.dm.unipi.it alberti at mail.dm.unipi.it
Thu May 13 13:54:53 CEST 2004

   Seminari di Calcolo delle Variazioni

   when: Giovedi' 27 maggio, ore 16 / Thursday, May 27, 4 pm

   where: Centro De Giorgi

   who: Valentino Magnani (Universita' di Pisa)

   title: An intrinsic notion of mass in the Heisenberg group

   abstract:  In  this talk we present a class of differential forms that
   allows  us to give a new notion of mass for currents in the Heisenberg
   group.  We  show  that  the  sub-Riemannian  perimeter of a set can be
   thought  of  as  the  intrinsic  mass  of its boundary. In the case of
   regular  k-dimensional  surfaces,  we  show  that their intrinsic mass
   corresponds  to the (k+1)-dimensional spherical Hausdorff measure with
   respect  to  the Carnot-Caratheodory distance. These facts confirm how
   this  notion  of  mass fits the natural sub-Riemannian geometry of the
   Heisenberg group.

   posted by Giovanni Alberti

Reference: http://www.dm.unipi.it/~alberti/altrepagine/SeminarioCVGMT/index.html

You find this news in the cvgmt preprint server: http://cvgmt.sns.it/news/20040527/