[CvGmt News] avviso di workshop

Sala Massimiliano sala at posso.dm.unipi.it
Thu Apr 24 12:12:31 CEST 2003

              WORKSHOP ON GROEBNER BASES AND CODING THEORY

Nei giorni 28 e 29 Aprile si terra' presso il Dipartimento
di Matematica un "Workshop on Groebner Bases and Coding Theory".

Il programma e' il seguente.

LUNEDI'28 Aprile
Sala Dei Seminari - Dipartimento di Matematica

Ore 15.30
Prof.Patrick Fitzpatrick, UCC Cork, Ireland
"Codes, Groebner basis and Interpolation"

ABSTRACT:"We interpret decoding the class of alternant codes as an
          interpolation problem and determine a solution using Gr\"obner
          bases of modules. This technique is generalized to a wide range
	  of other interpolation problems, such as Hermite-Pad\'e
          approximation, decoding alternant codes over a Galois ring, and
          the hardware design of a versatile processor for multiplicative
          arithmetic over a finite field."

ore 16.30

Henry O'Keefe, UCC Cork, Ireland
"Solving certain problems in coding and systems theory with Groebner
bases."

ABSTRACT:      "We present a generalised algorithm which produces a
                Groebner basis (with respect to an arbitrary term
                order) for a solution module of a series of congruences.
                By chosing specific term orders, we solve minimisation
		problems and problems where there are constraints on the
		degrees of the solution polynomials. In particular, we
		present solutions to problems in linear systems theory and
		list decoding."

ore 17.30

Dr. Barry Trager, IBM Research, USA
" Incremental Decoding"

ABSTRACT: 	We examine a group of decoding algorithms, which can be
	  	characterized as being incremental, in that they update
		the solution to a previous decoding problem to produce the
		solution to a new one. We will show that  all these
		algorithms can be unified under the notion of adding a
		linear constraint to a solution module. Groebner bases a
		are used not as a technique for constructing such bases,
		but as a framework for proving properties about them.

MARTEDI' 29 Aprile
AULA P1 - POLO FIBONACCI

ore 16
Dr. Katie O'Brien, UCC Cork, Ireland
"Greedy codes: constructions and properties"

ABSTRACT:"The talk will cover some extensions of the Greedy code
          construction. Some general properties will be discussed,
          with particular emphasis on normality conditions and
          the Varshamov bound."

Ore 17.
Dr. Massimiliano Sala, Univ. di  Pisa e UCC Cork
"On the weight distribution of irreducible Goppa codes"

ABSTRACT: "We present a method to compute the distance and the weight
           distribution of irreducible Goppa codes, using Groebner basis
           techniques."

Ore 18.
Dr. Massimo Caboara, Univ. di Genova
"The CRHT Decoding Algorithm and the Gianni-Kalkbrenner Shape Theorem"

ABSTRACT: "We here present an algorithm that uses Grobner bases as a
	   preprocessing tool in order to decode a cyclic code over GF(q)
	   of length n, extending previous work of Chen, Reed, Helleseth
	   and Truong."

Per ulteriori informazioni informazioni, scrivere a  sala at dm.unipi.it o
a gianni at dm.unipi.it.