[CvGmt News] Workshop Announcement "Transport me to Toronto!" (fwd)

Luigi Ambrosio luigi at ambrosio.sns.it
Sat Apr 7 14:11:06 CEST 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 14:21:05 -0400
From: Transport me to Toronto! <variations at fields.utoronto.ca>
To: "Transport (E-mail)" <jstock at fields.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Workshop Announcement "Transport me to Toronto!"

Dear Colleague:

It is our pleasure to announce the "TRANSPORT ME TO TORONTO!"
research workshop and summer school.  We hope the program
interests you.  We also appreciate your assistance in bringing
this opportunity to the attention of young colleagues (including
post-docs and graduate students) who may be in a position to
profit from it.

Our apologies for disturbing you.  We plan to E-mail only one
further reminder about the conference to non-registrants.  For
ease of printing, the following announcement is included both
as text and in the form of a PostScript attachment

Yours sincerely,

Luis, Mikhail and Robert (for the focused research group).

%%%%%%%%%%%% First Announcement (please clip print and post) %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

        PROBLEMS AND PERSPECTIVES ON THE CALCULUS OF VARIATIONS:
                   PHYSICS, ECONOMICS, AND GEOMETRY
                      "Transport me to Toronto!"
         Monday-Saturday August 20-25, 2001 in Toronto, Canada.

In recent years the optimal transportation problem of Monge and Kantorovich
has been a focal point for exciting mathematical developments combining
calculus of variations, partial differential equations, convexity and
geometric measure theory,  as well as interesting applications to
models from physics, geometry, computer vision, earth science and economics.

This Toronto Research Workshop and Summer School aim to bring together
experienced and young researchers working in a diversity of related areas
to share their discoveries and discuss open problems and perspectives
for the future of this blossoming field.

Graduate students and young faculty are particularly encouraged to attend.
Limited funding is available to defray local expenses of young participants.
Apply online before May 31, 2001.  There will also be an opportunity to
contribute brief research presentations.  Featured speakers include:

Minicourses by YANN BRENIER (Nice) and FELIX OTTO (Bonn)

Lectures by

     LUIGI AMBROSIO (Pisa)                GUY BOUCHITTE (Toulon)
     GIUSEPPE BUTTAZZO (Pisa)             ERIC CARLEN (Georgia Tech)
     MICHAEL CULLEN (ECMWF)               GUI-QIANG CHEN (Northwestern)
     IVAR EKELAND (Paris)		  NASSIF GHOUSSOUB (Vancouver)
     LAWRENCE C. EVANS (Berkeley)	  ALLEN TANNENBAUM (Georgia Tech)
     NEIL TRUDINGER (Australian National) JOHN URBAS (Australian National)
     CEDRIC VILLANI (Lyon)

                                                           organized by
and afternoon  GEOMETRICAL ASPECTS OF FLUID DYNAMICS          Cullen
minisymposia   MATHEMATICAL METHODS IN COMPUTER VISION   Tannenbaum & Yezzi
     on        TRANSPORT PROBLEMS HIDING IN ECONOMIC THEORY   Ekeland

The conference is supported by a U.S. National Science Foundation Focused
Research Group on Optimal Transportation (L. CAFFARELLI, M. CULLEN,
L.C. EVANS, M. FELDMAN, W. GANGBO and R. McCANN). It will be hosted by the
Fields Institute for Mathematical Sciences in Toronto, Canada.

Information and applications are available from the conference website:

       http://www.math.toronto.edu/mccann/conf-home.html

Write to         variations at fields.utoronto.ca          with questions.

Organizing Committee         &         Focused Research Group

Luis Caffarelli (Austin)               Mike Cullen (Reading)
Mikhail Feldman (Madison)              Lawrence C Evans (Berkeley)
Robert McCann (Toronto)                Wilfrid Gangbo (Atlanta)